1940 AERONCA 65-TC

Tandem Trainer, Standard Category
New!

$34,000

Airframe:

Restoration Completed in 2016 by the CAF
2,418 hoursTTAF

Engine(s):

Continental A-65-8
372 hours SMOH, 173 hours STOH

Avionics:

Standard Panel
No Electric System
Slick Magnetos

Propeller(s):

Sensenich W72CK -42
110 hoursTTSNEW

RESTORATION
This aircraft was restored by the Spirit of Tulsa Squadron of the Commemorative Air Force. Work on the restoration began in 2012 and was completed in 2016. In part, the frame was powder coated, the wings were reworked, and new control cables were installed. The aircraft was re-covered using the Stits Poly-Fiber System. The engine received two new Slick magnetos and a new wire harness. Since the restoration the current owner had a new 406/125.5 MHZ ELT installed, tail wheel spring replaced, and new recording tach installed. All maintenance under current ownership was performed by Stanton Sport Aviation mechanics located at KSYN in Stanton, MN. The aircraft has been hangared at KSYN from the time it was purchased from the CAF.

New

History:

This aircraft came off the Middleton, OH production line in June of 1940. It was originally fitted with a 60HP Franklin engine and had a 60-TF designation. In 1950 it received an engine upgrade to a 65HP Continental A-65-8 engine and was re-certified with the 65-TC designation. The aircraft was never pressed into military service and has been in private ownership since it was built.

The Aeronca Tandem Trainer was designed primarily as a low-cost aircraft for use by colleges participating in the government’s Civilian Pilot Training Program (CPTP).  This program began in 1938 and was renamed the War Training Service (WTS) in 1941.  The Aeronca History Museum reports that a total of 637 Trainers were built in 1940 (mainly) and in 1941.  All Trainers were manufactured at the Aeronca plant in Middleton, OH.

A radically modified version of the popular side-by-side Chief, the Trainer was the first certified tandem aircraft built by Aeronca.  It was available from the factory with a Continental, Lycoming, or Franklin engine option.  One of the airframe innovations was to raise the rear seat position by 5” thereby improving visibility for the student who sat behind the instructor.  Because of the higher rear seat design, it became affectionately known as the “high chair Aeronca”. When flown solo, the Trainer is piloted from the rear seat and there are no brake pedals in the front position.

With slight modifications improving visibility and adding equipment, variants of the Trainer (L-3 designations) were purchased by the Army Air Forces for observation and liaison purposes.  Other variants include the 65-TAC Defender and the TG-5 glider trainers. 

Miscellaneous:

Annual Inspection Completed April 2020
All AD’s in Compliance

Aircraft is located at KSYN Stanton Airport in MN. Contact Courtesy Aircraft to Schedule a Showing!

   SPECIFICATIONS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION UPON INSPECTION*